Social media and chat apps have become a dominating force in our daily lives, with WhatsApp being one of the most significant platforms. In fact, for many people worldwide, WhatsApp is the primary means of communicating with friends and family.
And businesses are taking notice. In fact, the business version of WhatsApp currently has more than 100 million downloads on Google Play Store, and those numbers will only continue to grow.
If you’re still on the fence about adding WhatsApp to your communication and marketing strategies, these 13 mind-blowing statistics will surely convert you into a diehard fan of the app.
1. There are currently more than two billion WhatsApp users (source)
WhatsApp currently has over two billion users located across the globe, making it more popular than Facebook Messenger. With a massive one billion user spike since 2016, the number of people logging onto the app will continue to increase in the years to come.
2. It’s the most popular mobile messaging app (source)
WhatsApp is the most popular mobile messaging app, and by quite a stretch. Two billion of its users access the app every month, 54% more than its close friend, Facebook Messenger.
3. WhatsApp has been downloaded 14 million times in November 2021. (source)
At the time of writing this article, WhatsApp has racked up over 14 million downloads in less than one month.
4. The app is available in over 180 countries. (source)
WhatsApp is currently available in more than 180 countries. To cater to its sprawling demographic, the app is available in 60 different languages. It enjoys the highest market penetration in the Netherlands (85%), Spain (83.1%), and Italy (83%).
5. 78% of WhatsApp users in the United States use the app at least once a week. (source)
WhatsApp isn’t an app that people install and then forget about and never use. More than two-thirds of its American users use WhatsApp one or more times every week. The majority of these users are between the ages of 26 and 35 and earn more than $50,000 a year.
6. It’s a valuable mobile messaging app. (source)
In a recent study among young adults, 88% of those polled said that WhatsApp is the most important mobile app they use. Instagram came in at a distant second.
7. 100 billion messages are sent every day via WhatsApp. (source)
Almost a decade ago, more than one billion messages were being sent using WhatsApp every day. Fast forward to 2021, and that number has jumped by 9900%.
8. WhatsApp has over 50 million business users.(source)
That’s a tenfold growth from 2019.
9. The top reason for contacting businesses on WhatsApp was customer service. (source)
In a study conducted by YouGov, 54% of participants stated that the reason they messaged a business through WhatsApp was for customer service, followed by pre-sales service (42%).
10. 175 million customers interact with WhatsApp business accounts. (source)
More than 175 million users worldwide interact or send a message to a business via WhatsApp.
11. 40 million WhatsApp users look at business catalogs every month. (source)
Over 40 million users worldwide browse products or services on the app each month.
12. WhatsApp Business increases sales by 27%. (source)
The app can also boost conversion rates by 20%.
13. Messages on WhatsApp Business API have a 99% open rate. (source)
Moreover, users will answer more than 40% of these messages.